Since I just returned from Black Sheep Gathering, pumped from seeing friends from near & far, meeting a whole new crop of fiber people, & generally having a wonderful time, I thought it would be the perfect way to jump into VWorld 2.0.
This year I traveled with Ace Vandenack, the Romney sheep breeder behind Ace in the Hole Romney Ranch that I've been lucky enough to count as a friend for the past 5 years or so. We headed up Thursday morning, & he put me to work when we arrived pretending I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool city girl: I broke up flakes of fodder, filled & toted water buckets, & generally got in the way.
Friday I spent shopping & visiting, followed by the highlight of my weekend: the 2nd Annual Pie & Beer celebration that I hosted in the campground Friday night. There were folks from as far away as Alaska & Hawaii, plus the folks from Pocket Wheel & about 30-35 others. Tons o' fun! Thanks to everyone who attended and made it such a rousing success.
All 3 vendor buildings were fair bursting with wonderful opportunities for stash enhancement again this year. Here's what I brought home with me:
- a goodie package for my friend Kirbie for the Camp Loopy Cabin 3 bunkmate swap
- fiber: scrumptious SW Merino from Abstract Fiber, SW Merino & Merino/Tencel from Crown Mountain Farms, & Mohair/Merino/Nylon from Oregon Homestead
- yarn: a very Velma-licious Rare Gem colorway of Socks That Rock Lightweight from BMFA, and 2 skeins of Matisse sock yarn from Abstract Fiber
- JC Briar's Charts Made Simple book
- a spalted maple modular spindle from Ken Ledbetter - 3 shafts!!!
- a 2-ended yarn bag from Celeste Percy of Celestial Fiber Arts
- Hiya Hiya 4" glove needles from Carolina Homespun
- bobbins for plying from the estate booth
Wow, I thought I spent less this year, but after itemizing my shopping list, I'm not so sure! I also got some free shwag:
- a sample bag from Jasmin & Gigi of the Knitmore Girls Podcast, including free patterns from Knitcircus, a Lo-Lo Bar sample from Bar-Maids.com, Targhee fiber sample from Abstract Fiber, a skein of Crystal Palace Panda Cotton, a button, & a tape measure - shwing!
- 2 braids of roving in the Ravelry fiber swap: Australian wool from Lime & Violet & South African fine wool from Spunky Eclectic
After spending the better part of Saturday hanging out in the always convivial spinner's circle out on the lawn, chatting with tons of spinners, & playing BSG Bingo, which was once again organized with aplomb by TheBon & Violinjodie, I was ready for the Ravelry Meet-up in the afternoon. Although I didn't win anything in the raffle this year, I'm confident that the bamboo roving braids I donated found a happy new home. The only sad note was the announcement at the end of the prize drawing that a newly-purchased wheel was stolen from the indoor Spinner's Circle. However, Yankee Greg & many BSG attendees came to the rescue: Greg took up a collection & raised enough donations to replace Jan's stolen wheel!
Saturday night's potluck dinner was amazing, as always. Unfortunately, I was too poopered to make it to the Spinner's Lead this year, but I heard that it went off without a hitch.
More hanging out & visiting Sunday, then at the end of the day I got to help Ace load up the trailer, doing my best to fill my shepherdess role, herding ewes. We were out the door and on the road by 4:20, and made it to my house about 10:30. BSG #4 for me, under my belt.
If you were there, I hope you had as good a time as I did, & if you weren't well, you should try to make it next year. Best fiber festival I've been to!