Dear Secret Pal~
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I'm kind of schizo on this question. Although I'm a yarn-snob in the sense that I knit with lots of fancy-schmancy yarns like Colinette, Noro, and Alchemy, as well as handspun art yarns (Pluckyfluff, Luxe, Material Whirled and Insubordiknit are my faves), I also utilize synthetics, particularly eyelash yarns. I knit mostly with natural fibers, especially wool; I've been wanting to experiment with some of the more exotic natural fibers coming out, like modal, soysilk, corn, and yak. The one fiber I hate working with is cotton - yuck, no elasticity. If I could only use one word to describe my yarn tastes, it would be: COLOR, and the best way to see what I gravitate to is to check out my stash.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Oh, man, they are EVERYWHERE. In my ottoman. On my kitchen and dining tables (o.k., they're really worktables, we never eat there). In my purse(s). I've even found them in my bed (ouch!). Mostly I keep my preferred needles, Addi Turbos, in the top drawer of my first stash organizing bin, but that's full. I've been meaning to get some of those KnitPicks needle pockets and decorate a notebook for them. The needles that belonged to my Nana are in a big mason jar. I've been meaning to get some ReproDepot fabric and sew myself up a needle roll for my DPNs. My crochet hooks just float around, willy-nilly.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
That would be "intermediate, Bob". My best friend, blogless-but-wonderful Eileen, taught me to knit in 2003, and I've been a fiend ever since. Can't. Get. Enough. Knitting! Actually, this is a bald-faced lie; my Grandma Pearl taught me to knit when I was in my late teens or early 20s, but all I could remember was the knit stitch. Couldn't cast on... Couldn't bind off... Couldn't even remember how to turn a row, so could only work on my one ugly scarf when she was in the room to help. I don't really count that experience, but thanks for planting the seed, Grandma!
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yepper. She be here. And here.
5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
Not a big fan of scent, to tell the truth. Smell allergies. But thanks for asking! (Oooh, I just remembered, there is one I can tolerate: I have some incense that is desert-smelly, with sage and juniper and pinon pine and incense cedar in it. I used to live at the Grand Canyon, and it reminds me of that).
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I love dark chocolate, but I don't love milk chocolate.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Whooboy, that's a big "10-4 good buddy!" I do spin, as a matter of fact. On a Lendrum DT wheel. Ain't he a purdy thang? His name is "Harry," btw. And I sew (some), and want to do more, like quilting. And I'm learning to crochet. I used to do counted cross-stitch, but don't anymore; want to get back into embroidery, and try crewel. Oh, and I want to try applique, too.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
MP3s are a go, and I love, love, LOVE finding new bands/music! The only thing I don't like is hate-rap; otherwise, anything goes, as long as it's good and eclectic.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I always say that my favorite color is "color." But if I had to be pinned down, I would say warm colors (pink, red, orange) are my favorites. And purple. I don't much care for light neutral colors (beige, gray) but darker ones (black, charcoal, chocolate) are o.k. Again, check out the stash for a sense of my color sensibilities.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Well, I'm "taken" and "hetero" and "petless", if that's what you mean. But labels suck, dontcha think?
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes, definitely yes, no, definitely no, respectively.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
That's a toughee. Whatever I'm knitting is usually my favorite and least-favorite thing to knit, know what I mean? I like variety, although I also usually have at least one hat on the needles at any given time. I've knit some fairly weird things, like this (which won a prize, so don't laugh too hard), and I want to knit this, and this. But not this. I like weird knitting, but really. Also, I'd like to try socks soon (I'm a sock virgin).
13. What are you knitting right now?
Here's my WIP list:
- Tempting from Knitty
- Central Park Hoodie from KnitScene
- Noni Bobbles, Bobbles Everywhere Bag
- a vintage Mohair Fez
- Hallowig from Knitty
- a watchcap of my own design for friend Jeff
- Intolerable Cruelty Skirt from Knitty
- a Knitted Babe for Sophie
- Stitch Diva's Simple Knitted Bodice
- and a Kimono Styled Sweater
Sure, who doesn't?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I knit almost exclusively on Addi Turbo circular needles. Hate the bamboo ones; too sticky for me. I also use aluminum DPNs. Oh, and I do have one set of Pony Pearl pink size 10 DPNs that I love. Made my first hat on 'em. Those newfangled glass ones look interesting, but I don't usually do straights. Although I did pick up a pair of KnitLites recently, sose I can knit better in the dark.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I have a small Royal ball winder, and a skein winder that I use in lieu of a swift; I've been eyeballing both a Strauch Jumbo ball winder and a wooden swift. Let's just say that using a yarn winder without a swift is not the ideal solution.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
Since 2003. Several. Dang.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Oh, man, how to choose??? How about top 3: Christmas, Halloween, Birthday.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Besides yarn, patterns, and other knitting
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I've got a bunch of books on my Amazon wish list, and the ones I'm most excited about are Inspired Cable Knits and Tracy Ullman's new Knit 2 Together. I'd like to try dyeing, so Deb Menz's Color in Spinning would be great. I've always wanted to try a yarn from Habu Textiles; the silk-wrapped stainless steel yarn is supposed to be amazing (for Habu, I'd do neutrals!). I love Alchemy Yarns patterns; I've especially been thinking of getting the Stupa and Stupa Bella hat patterns. Pick Up Sticks patterns (especially the hats) and the Gossamer pattern series from Karabella are great too. I don't have any knitmag subs; can you believe it? I buy 'em all over the counter. I'd just die for a sub to Rebecca (in English, if I'm ever to knit from it).
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I just learned to cable, and I love it! I'd like to try steeking (I have a sweater I made tooooo wiiiiide). And short rows, I'd like to try that. And intarsia, that too. I'm game for anything (plus, now that I think about it, I knit waaaay too much stockinette, and need more skilz).
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Not yet, but I'd like to try it (never knit on needles smaller than a US7. Yet). My feet are (gasp!) 10.5" long.
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
June, 9. Uber Gemini. Year of the Dragon.