Sunday, January 17, 2010

Blue

We are bracing for a bad-ass storm here in Humboldt. Prediction is 6-10 inches of rain in the coming week. Viva El Niño! Figured, what the hell, let's make that part of my YIP project today. But, how to capture wind??

I tried getting a decent shot of one of our wind chimes whipping around, but that didn't fly. (Get it? I slipped in a pun there.) But then the first big drops started plopping around me & I changed tactics. The result is the view out my kitchen window, showing the stained glass moon that my friend Diane made and gave to me for my 40th birthday, with some of those ripe raindrops on our very dirty window. It's a blurry shot, but I like it. Can you see the trees blowing around in the background? Whee, hold on to your hat, it's a Winne the Pooh day!


Yesterday, some yarn showed up at my house. I stash-dived (dove? dunno) on Ravelry and came up with 2 skeins of Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool + 2 skeins of Knit Picks fingering for dyeing, 1 each of Bare and Color Your Own; I can't resist stash enhancement, particularly for the bargain basement price of $23 for all including shipping!

I've got a couple of ideas for the Silky Wool: Ishbel, a popular small lace shawl, or the Cool Hemp Poncho, but neither really feels 'right'. I'd like to find a Help for Haiti pattern that would work for this yarn; the most likely candidate right now is the Calm Waters Cowl by Sara Amoroso, but I'm thinking I might want something a bit more lacy... Anybody with a suggestion, I'd love to hear from you!

Obviously, the Knit Picks yarns will get dyed; I'm thinking one will be done as a self-striping yarn using the warping board Cole made me last year, and the other I'll try out my Kenner knitting machine with, see if I can make myself a sock blank to dye and knit. Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking, I dare you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails