Sunday, June 28, 2009

Look What's in my Crockpot!


Check out my first day of real dyeing at my own house! Yep, I've dyed in my backyard before, but only with kool-aid & Easter egg dyes, never with professional acid dyes. I've done acid dyeing before, but never on my own turf. Like chocolate & peanut butter, when dyeing comes together with your own space, there is an EXPLOSION of love!

Saturday I set up my dye workbench (that would be the table Mr. Likevelvet made for me a few weeks ago; he upcycled the legs from a rotted folding table by adding a new plywood top - adore him, and the table). Pulled out the crockpot I scored at a thrift store last year for this very purpose (it even has a white liner, much easier to see when the dyebath has been exhausted). Got some free gloves from the hardware store next door (I didn't wanna buy a whole box of what they had.) Did some quick Google-fu to get an idea of what the hell I was doing, & set to experimenting. First out of the dyepot was the dark blue number, with the blue-green combo after.


Today was more of the same, with an earlier start & warm colors. 'Purpinkle', shown here, & a second batch of mostly hot pink that cooked while I was at Yarn in Eureka for Sit & Knit today.

I've gotta say, this crockpot dealio was waaay easier than frickin' around with the microwave. Now I just need to track down a few more so I can get a production line going. If you've never tried crockpot dyeing before, I'd recommend it to you. Kind of a set-it-and-forget-it system, my favorite. Use your fave search engine to find a plethora of internet tutes.

I'm really diggin' the dyein', so expect to see more of these process pictures of COLORBOMB in the future, and lots more fiber in my Etsy shop.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:15 AM

    awesome!! Now i need to find a spare crockpot somewhere....mmmmm!! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your set-up is inspiring me! I think this is what I'll do in my new backyard to properly christen it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the set up. May have have to look up the info since I have a few crockpots just sitting. Hope you can find more

    ReplyDelete
  4. those colors are GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharinng this

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you're thinking, I dare you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails