Monday, June 29, 2009

Today was Brought to You by the Color BLUE!

Isn't he cute? Cole's watering the sunflowers Kathy gave me last month when I was in the hospital having my gallbladder taken out. (Aside: best Get Well present EVER!). He planted 'em for us 'cuz he knew that although I have the best of intentions, my follow-through isn't always that great. So he's taken on the task of keeping them alive, too. Can't wait to see them bloom!

This is what I did today. More dyeing! This time it was all about the BLUE. Had a request from a regular COLORBOMB Creations customer for more blue, soooooooooo... Think this is blue enough?

I even found a bag of washed/undyed Wensleydale locks to whip up for her! I tossed 'em in to the crockpot dyebath after pulling the wool out, & there was plenty of dye left in there to get this gorgeous cornflower blue.

Still getting learning some of the nuances of acid dyeing. Took about 5 rinses to get the water to run clear with the first batch (wool), but the second batch (Wensleydale) ran clear on the first rinse. Go figure! I did learn something today though: turns out that it takes a really long time to heat set dye if you don't plug the crockpot in! ;)

Tomorrow will probably be another dye day, but in the meantime I'm gonna leave you with this frog I found on the side of our BBQ yesterday. He was only about 1.5 inches from top to bottom; he looks freakish this big, but I wanted to put my new camera through its paces. It rocked the closeup!


2 comments:

  1. Saw you tags (dyeing, frogs, husbands). My first thought was that you were dyeing you frog husband. My second thought was husbandS!?! Do you have more than one? I really must get more sleep. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I give an unsolicited bit of acid dyeing advice?
    The reason the first batch didn't run clear is that you probably had a bit too much dye. The second batch (the locks) went in the right amount of dye (the wool had soaked some of it up).
    If I find I've put too much dye, I scoop out 2 or 3 cups, add some water and vinegar (or citric acid) and leave it on for a bit longer. Then I can dye with the remaining 2 or 3 cups!

    Hope this is helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you're thinking, I dare you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails