Thursday, December 18, 2008

Last Week of Xmas Knitting?!?

HOW did that happen?!? It's like this every year: I think I've got pleeeenty of time 'til Christmas, when in point of fact it is right on the horizon. Only 7 more days - IF you count today and Xmas morning, which is probably cheating - to get my holiday gift knitting finished, wrapped, and under the as-yet unpurchased tree. Granted, I've given myself a reprieve on gifts that need to be mailed; this means YOU, Michelle & Varuna! Expect your gifts in the new year.

But I've been diligently knitting away, and although I'm not going to spoil the surprise for the aforementioned sis- and bro-in-law, Cole doesn't read my blog (he is SO not a computer guy!), so it is safe to show progress on his gifties.

Those are the socks I'm making him, above. Last xmas, when we were engaged, I made him a pair of thick, comfy boot socks and put 'em under the tree - HUGE success. Thought it would be a nice tradition, so these are the '08 installment of Hubby Xmas socks. They are Noro Kureyon, #4 needles, knit 2-at-once. Ravelry project page is here. I'm using scraps collected over the past few years, leftovers from all the beanies I've made and donated to our disc golf club for raffle prizes. What do you think of the colors? I'm going with the idea that rust/brown is very manly, although I think he'd be tickled pink by anything but, well, pink.

He's also getting a pair of ear warmers for his bicycle helmet. We don't drive, so he spends a lot of time on his bike, and it has been pretty cold again this winter. In October, I took an indigo dyeing workshop at our fiber fair, and dyed up some Blue Faced Leicester (BFL) wool; later, I spun it up in my first go at navajo or chain plying. Although the gauge of the resulting handspun is heavier than the pattern calls for, I've made a few mods and it seems to be working fine. Their Ravelry page is here.

Wishing you enough time to finish YOUR holiday crafting!

2 comments:

  1. The earwarmers should be just fine even with slight modifications -- they just need to fit over his ears and keep them warm! They aren't an "exact fit" project. What gorgeous blues!

    I made a pair, but I haven't been biking since the weather turned, so I haven't tried them out. I think they'll be a big help, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more concerned with making them fit around the helmet straps properly. So far, so good. I think I'm going to make one a little wider & longer; the straps on the buckle side are longer.

    Thanks for the compliment on the blues! My first natural dye experience, and although I would have liked to be able to overdye one section a bit more to increase the variegation, I'm pleased overall. Not bad for a $5 workshop!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you're thinking, I dare you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails