Thursday, May 31, 2007

Sock-tastic-o!

I finished my first socks!! That's one reason why I've been absentee landlord here: sock-obsession. But here they are, in all their glory, my Inside Out socks.

I adore this pattern. I don't know why anyone would knit a top-down sock, leaving the possibility that they might have to frog the whole thing when it doesn't fit. This method allows repeated trying-0n and custom fitting. Kudos to Kaci for creating such a great pattern. I particularly like the garter short-row toes (seen here) and heels, which were easy-peasy.

And no trouble here with the cabled legs; others said they had trouble getting them to fit their legs, but I had no such trouble. (There are close-up views of the 'inside' and 'outside' of the cabling here and here, for your viewing pleasure).

I assume you know that I knit these as part of the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Rockin' Sock Club 2007, right? I think there are 199 of us that get their gorgeous Socks That Rock yarn every 2 months, and this was the first "installment". I love this yarn, and want to get more, More, MORE! I'm thinking 'Knitty Rocks', 'Sherbet', and 'Titania' (that last one for Cole, per his request). And of course there is the second installment, 'Walking on the Wild Tide', which is their new 'Silkie Socks That Rock' that contain 19% silk; yum! The new pattern can be done as a knee-high with a sexy seam up the back, and that's the route I'm going, including tackling the socks-on-2-circs technique.

Pattern: Inside Out Socks (toe-up) by Kacy Kyler Hays

Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock in 'Monsoon' colorway, medium weight, 100%

Needles: #1US (foot) and #2US (leg) Brittany 5" DPNs

Started: 03 March 2007
Completed: 30 May 2007



6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:33 PM

    Great job V!!! Your first pair too. But did you know that there are over 2000 members of the STR club? Isn't that crazy awesome?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, congrats on your first socks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your socks. The sock yarn colors are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks guys! i feel very talented to be a sock knitter, you know, inordinately pleased with my own self for my ability to do what probably *everyone* knew how to do a few generations back. but i'm excited to do more.

    tienne, i thought it was 200, not 2000! no wonder they have a hard time, it must be like herding 2000 cats! such bitchiness on the blog. feh. i avoid it. are you doing the grasshoppers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful socks!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. D -- thanks! since they are my first, i'm particularly pleased with them.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you're thinking, I dare you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails