Friday, April 27, 2007

Spinning Wheels & Circular Saws

Just so you don't think that all I do here anymore is pimp COLORBOMB Creations (notice how I snuck the link in there? clever Velma), check out this factoid I read in the bathroom today:
"Tabitha Babbit, inventor of the circular saw, got the inspiration for her invention in 1810, at the age of 26, while sitting at her spinning wheel. Watching a work crew saw wood with a two-man saw, she noticed that half the back-and-forth motion was wasted (the back portion), and envisioned a circular blade. By notching the edge of a thin metal disk and then attaching it to her spinning wheel, she effortlessly cut through a piece of shingle, and the circular saw was born. But because of her religious beliefs (she was a Shaker), Babbitt never pursued a patent."
(from Uncle John's Curiously Compelling Bathroom Reader, 19th ed.)
How cool is that?!? An ubiquitous tool, invented by a smart chick, a spinner no less. Cole thought that was pretty cool when I told him (a carpenter) that, too. (Sadly, when doing a little extra research on this, it looks like there was an earlier claimaint to the title of inventor for this handy item; if you are curious, go here for more info. I like the spinning connection anyway).

Speaking of Cole, I'm missing him already, as he left about 30 minutes ago for a weekend of disc golf at the Par Infinity annual Buddha Tree Tournament. Since the weather inland (where the tournament is held this year) is supposed to be in the mid-80s, I expect it will be a fun weekend. I've got the house to myself for a few days, so I'm going to try to bang out some spinning and do some spring cleaning in the "studio". Here's some "before" pics to give you an idea of what I'm up against. Clockwise from top left: East, South, West, North (I know, that's not the "normal" way to list the directions; I don't care!) Have a great weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you're thinking, I dare you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails