Wednesday, May 26, 2010

(Beer and) Fiber Friday

Looks like my resolve to blog regularly has once again fallen by the wayside, hasn't it? Oh well, we all do what we can do. But GEEZ, it's already the 25th, & this is my first post of May! This one was supposed to show up last Friday; does that make me late to last week's Fiber Friday or early for tomorrow's?


My return to blogging life is to offer thanks to Hez1 for the package of goodies she sent me for the Beer & Fiber swap on Ravelry. Two of my favorite things in one box!

She sent me a skein of Colinette Jitterbug sock yarn in my FAVE Welsh colorway: Popsicle - she didn't even know I'd been dying to try it! And despite her not being a hops fan, she hit the IPA nail on the head, sending 4 cans of Surly Furious & 2 bottles of Two Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery.

The Surly is an IBU 99'er American India Pale Ale (yum!). Here's my review (cross-posted on Beer Advocate):
  • Poured from can into chilled mug
  • Almost zero head atop a clear, dark amber liquid
  • Limited aroma, with citrus predominating
  • Very citrusy taste, particularly grapefruit, with a slightly bitter aftertaste
  • Kind of 'thin' tasting, not super complex
  • Not highly hopped
  • Probably a good 'intro' IPA for drinkers who don't think they like IPAs
  • Surprisingly good for canned beer!
  • Will drink again (if I can find it)
  • My rating: B+
Two Hearted Ale, another American IPA from Michigan, is also very drinkable - my review (also on Beer Advocate):
  • Poured a 12-oz bottle into chilled mug
  • Cloudy butterscotch color
  • Smallish head that dissipated almost immediately; good lacing
  • The aroma - mango, pineapple, & exotic flowers - is delightful. Smells like Hawaii in a bottle!
  • Good carbonation, slightly tangy, very crisp
  • Not as grapefruity as I usually like, but I didn't mind the lack at all; a very pleasant surprise
  • Nice, light, tart aftertaste
  • If it was available in California (it's not), I'd definitely drink this beer again
  • my rating: A-
Looks like Michigan knows their IPA! Thanks, Hez, for your prizers.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my... beear & yarn swap??! Where would one sign up for that glorious idea?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. A great combination. Glad to see you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your post. Defenitely keep writing whenever you can.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you're thinking, I dare you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails