Saturday, November 04, 2006

Pop the Corn, There's a Knittin' Movie Comin' to Town!

I've had this post about celebrity knitting on the back-burner for awhile now, but after I saw the headline "Julia Roberts to Star in Movie About Knitting" I decided it's time has come. The film, The Friday Night Knitting Club, is based on an upcoming Kate Jacobs novel of the same name and features Roberts as a single mom-cum-knitshop-owner. Seems the knitting star is also slated to co-produce the film. But hold your horses, it won't be out 'til '08. So what are we to do 'til then?

Not to fear; now that knitting celebs are as common as Robert Downey Jr. arrests, everyone's getting in on the action. Seems that everywhere I look, it's Hilary Swank knits this, and Sarah Jessica Parker knitting that. Steven Tyler's daughter's doing it, as is Uma and Madonna. (I looked and looked and couldn't find a photo of Julia knitting, hence Ingrid here. She's cooler anyway. But I did find this: Roberts knit a turtleneck sweater published in McCalls in 2001 - the pattern is available at LearnToKnit, and a kit is available at Worldknit.

But now here's a celebrity sighting I'm interested in: I want to get my hands on a copy of Tracy Ullman's new book, Knit2Together. She teamed up with Mel Clark of Wildfiber fame; this upscale Santa Monica, CA. yarnstore donates a quarter to charity every time a customer refuses a plastic shopping bag. I read that Tracy is worried they'll confiscate her WIP at the airport. And I just love that her daugher Mabel (what a wonderful name! Very Velma) knits and sells cashmere "nose warmers," which mum characterizes as "like SARS masks"; I'm thinking ala Knitty nosewarmers. Tracey's NPR interview is here, and there's a great video of her appearance on the Today Show here, wherein she tells Matt Lauer she wants to knit him a blue toupee (careful, it's at the Huffington Post, so watch out for hate-commenters and other nonesense). Can't wait to get your hands on a copy? Here's a preview from the book: Mohair Apron pattern, courtesy of NPR. (Every knitter worth their sticks needs one of those, right?)

7 comments:

  1. i'm totally wanting the tracy ullman book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, she's weird. i like weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, celebrity knitters are everywhere. Last spring I sold three skeins (including my Homage to Ed Wood) to Lisa Loeb. I was sure it was THE Lisa Loeb, celebrity knitter/singer, but when I asked she said no, it wasn't that Lisa Loeb. I don't know though. I've always wondered! If you ever see Lisa Loeb wearing a hat with glow-in-the-dark aliens and UFOs made out of washers let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a great story lynn! i run into lisa loeb *all* the time, you know. ;)

    ok, everyone, start keepin' your eye out for ll in that hat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lynn, i think she lied! funny!

    velma, i wonder if julia really knows how to knit...you know how sometimes on a show they will have someone knitting but you can tell that they don't REALLY know how?

    ReplyDelete
  6. n, everything i've read about julia is that she's been a knitter for years, that she knits on the set, etc. i've heard interviews where's she discussed it, too. but i'm sure there are others where they're just acting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the book and I'm so excited there will be a movie! Thanks for the pattern from the learn to knit site. I'm new to knitting and am always on the lookout for websites to help me. I wanted to pass along a site I found that has a few basic how to videos with great tips on beginning knitting. I'm not sure if you're interested in watching videos, but I learned how to knit from these and highly recommend them!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you're thinking, I dare you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails